This delicious casserole uses a trio of the best of regional produce; Waterall Pork Sausages, Celery and Apples. A good slosh of cider along with fresh sage bring this fantastic winter warmer together.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 15 mins
You will need:
- 8 Waterall Pork Sausages
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 6 shallots, peeled and diced
- 6 sticks Celery, cut into 10cm lengths
- 2 Apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 200g tinned tomatoes, chopped
- 300mls dry cider
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 5.
- In a large cast iron or ovenproof casserole dish, fry the sausages in the oil until they are browned all over. Take them out and set to one side, then add the diced shallots and fry until they have just started to soften.
- Add the celery and fry for a further 5 minutes until the celery has started to soften. Put the sausages back into the casserole dish, along with apples, tinned tomatoes, cider and sage leaves, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and place the casserole dish into a pre-heated oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Serve with steamed, seasonal greens and mashed potatoes or as a one pot meal with crusty bread.