What makes the British pork sausage legendary? Here our favourite top 10 facts about the Great British Banger…
- During the year to July 2014, the nation consumed 181,853 tonnes of sausages in the home, worth £780 million of retail sales.
- The value of the premium sausage sector grew by 9.8% in 2012-2013 and by 5.2% 52w/e 20 July 2014.
- 86% of British households buy sausages, on an average of 12 times per year.
- Each household spends an average of £34.40 per year on sausages
- Every day, 3.7 million meals containing sausages are eaten at home
- A staggering 1.35 billion meals containing sausage are eaten in the home each year
- More sausages are eaten as part of an evening meal/teatime in the home (62%); compared to 21% at breakfast and 16% at lunch.
- 31% of the sausage market (by volume) is classified as premium, 58% as standard, 3% as low fat and 7% as economy
- Sausage sales (by volume) are more than double the sales of burgers and grills.
- 20% of sausages eaten out of the home are consumed in pubs, 19% are enjoyed in full service outlets and 19% in a travel and leisure environment, 11% are eaten in the workplace.
So now we’ve whet you appetite… come and get some of our premium pork sausages – we’ve on the world famous Moor Market. See you later?